I am a postdoc research associate at the Institute of Informatics & Telecommunications of NCSR “Demokritos”, in Athens, Greece, where I work with the Complex Event Recognition group. My research lies at the intersection of machine learning, computational logic and complex event processsing/recognition. In more detail, I am mostly interested in:
- Learning in logic & combining logic with probability: Inductive Logic Programming & Statistical Relational Learning.
- Learning from temporal data & reasoning with time, change, events & their effects: Adaptive learning argorithms, theory revision, non-monotonic & commonsense reasoning under uncertainty.
- Online learning and learning from data streams.
- Methods for scaling-up logical & relational learning, distributed & parallel learning.
- Applications of all the above to the problem of robust and efficient extraction of interperetable complex event patterns from large data volumes.
I hold a PhD in machine learning (my PhD thesis) and an MSc in mathematical logic & theory of computation, both from the Univ. of Athens. My background is in mathematics (BSc from the Univ. of Thessaloniki).
I’ve been involved in several FP7 and H2020 R&D projects so far, both by doing research and by writting-up proposals. I have worked on different applications, such as transport management, maritime surveillance, credit card fraud detection, assisted living and knowledge extraction from social networks.
- Katzouris N. & Artikis A., WOLED: A tool for Online Learning Weighted Answer Set Rules for Temporal Reasoning Under Uncertainty, Int. Conf. on Principles of Knowledge Representation & Reasoning (KR), 2020.
- Katzouris N., Artikis A. and Paliouras G., Parallel Online Event Calculus Learning for Complex Event Recognition, Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 94, pp. 468-478, 2019. (pdf)
- Katzouris N., Michelioudakis E., Artikis A. and Paliouras G., Online Learning of Weighted Relational Rules for Complex Event Recognition, ECML/PKDD, 2018. (pdf)
- Katzouris N., Artikis A. and Paliouras G., Online Learning of Event Definitions, Theory & Practice of Logic Programming (TPLP), 2016. (pdf)
- Katzouris N., Artikis A. and Paliouras G., Incremental learning of event definitions with inductive logic programming, Machine Learning Journal, 2015. (pdf)